Remembrances


January 29, 2012
Franko has been like family to me, and that is how I'll always remember him. He was a man of deep conviction and compassion, who dedicated his adult life to helping improve the lives of others. He often humorously presented himself as a crotchety old grump, but the emphasis was always on the humor. Franko thought it was hilarious when one of the tykes in his circle of friends teasingly nicknamed him "Cranko"--he couldn't fool even a small child with his curmudgeon act. The loss of Franko is so very, very sad, but it is not complete. He will live on in my heart, as in the hearts of all those whose lives he enriched.
~ Ed Lein, Jacksonville, Florida

January 29, 2012
Dale, I am so sorry to hear about Frank's passing. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him. You are in my prayers.
~ Modena R. Dyess, Hattiesburg, Mississippi

January 29, 2012
Dale and other family members,
Franko and I never met in person but I heard regularly from a dear friend of his and felt like I had known him all my life. I absolutely loved his take on life and enjoyed every one of his comments. Rest in peace, dear man.
~ Sandra Isaacson, Las Vegas, Nevada

February 03, 2012
Dale, Frank was a wonderful person and I am so happy that I got to know him. I miss you and our Saturday work-outs and I will miss Frank.
~ Michele Larrow, Pullman, Washington

March, 14, 2012
I knew Franko for several years at the Livewell where we would work out together on Saturdays.  I always looked forward to our talks, even though many times I was not able to spend as long as I would like talking with Franko and Dale.  As Franko became sicker, I was especially impressed by his grace in dealing with his illness.  He would discuss health issues as matter-of-fact realities.  He did not complain or seek sympathy.  I was hugely impressed that he kept coming to exercise as long as he could.  As I deal with my own health issues, Franko is a model for me of how to manage illness and not let it define who you are.

The other part of Franko’s life that impressed me was the loving and tender relationship that he had with Dale.  As Franko needed oxygen, Dale would help him move from machine to machine while exercising.  Dale was so patient and loving in how he cared for Franko.  It was so wonderful to see them together and their love for each other.  I only wish I had known them longer and had a chance to get to know Franko better.  Even though I am out of state now, I really value my time talking with Dale.  Franko and Dale have touched so many lives, it is truly amazing to hear about.
~ Michele Larrow, Pullman, Washington

April 01, 2012
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

~ Robert Frost
Franko,
You were such a treasure of a person.  And I treasured being able to consider you my friend - -- A dear friendship that, even across years of not seeing each other, was much more precious than gold.

What gifts you gave me!  First of all, you shared Dale.  Now that’s a case of two halves adding up to much more than a whole.  I loved spending time with the two of you, taking relaxing dips in your pool, eating way-too-fattening home-cooked dinners (even though I think I recall that you were always on a “diet”), and laughing off the craziness of everyone but us.

But not knowing that I would end up getting a terrific package deal, what drew me toward your friendship in the first place?  We were, after all, a pretty unlikely match for sparking an enduring friendship.   I was a youngish, local girl fresh out of graduate school.  You were a more seasoned, seemingly settled man from the big city.

What I have figured out, Franko, is that I wanted to be like you.  I wanted to be as comfortable with myself as you were with yourself.  You were who you were and you let your unique “Frankoness” shine through without any apologies.  This is something that I hope for everyone.  I’ve gotten there, which can be hard for a young people-pleasing southern girl, and you were an inspiration.

As I think about it, there actually was one thing that you did try to hide.  But, please be informed that you did not get away with it.  Your curmudgeonly manner and muffled muttering about challenging clients failed miserably as a mask for your deep caring and commitment.  You went the distance for those who relied on you.  Your toughness came in the high expectations you held - - but your acceptance was never farther away than the twinkle in your eyes.  I’ll always remember you for this powerful blend and hope that I have come close to achieving something similar in my own work with challenging children.

So, my dear friend, goodbye with loving thanks,
Chris
~ Christine Maxwell, Chicago, Illinois

April 7, 2012
I'm saddened to learn of Frank's passing.  He was one of the most important people in my life.


My memories of Frank begin with a sense of intimidation, verging on fear, of a man who had little use for a college-educated, novice counselor.  Little did I know, at the time, that beneath the growly snapping lay a tender, kind, sensitive man.  Nor could I have known that in time we would become the best of friends.  We spent hours discussing psychological theory and the state of the world, laughing and cussing in a dense haze of cigarette smoke. I can still hear his laughter.
~ Karl Ponchalek, Albuquerque, NM